The encaustic medium is magical, vibrant and translucent.  My creative muse guides, inspires and feeds my soul through this medium, mixed media and collage.  Blessing me with endless moments of creative joy and harmony...providing those ahhaa moments about life.  Join me on this creative journey, spend some time reading my musings about this life, the blessed other souls that come into contact with mine, however brief or often, that can leave everlasting imprints on our journey....perhaps our lives might share some similarities, bringing us closer and more connected...and less isolated.

"I suppose there is one friend in the life of each of us who seems not a separate person, however dear and beloved, but an expansion, an interpretation, of one's self, the very meaning of one's soul." ~ Edith Wharton

Here's to finding those expansive moments.....

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thou Seemst a Little Deity - Ode to the Queen Bee, New Work

"Thou Seemst a Little Deity" 30 x 24 Encaustic Mixed Media Collage, 2009

I have been enjoying working with the iron lately...  Years ago I found a gem of a find, a travelling iron, the kind without the steam holes, at a thrift store...but didn't use it much really...However, recently I attended a mini workshop that Andrea Bird taught on using the iron, in her preparation for doing a demo at the Third Annual Encaustic Conference in June.  Andrea is a fabulous encaustic artist, check out her website here.    A group of us are heading down to the conference and are very excited about it...it was fabulous last year..my head was on fire after the intensity of 200 + encaustic wax heads coming together in glee and delight...

I used the iron quite a bit in this piece to get the crisp flat drips and drops...This piece is inspired to honour the  "queen bee", who provides us with great fruits of her labour and the honeybee's labour of love, liquid gold, delicious and precious.... There is a Canadian Show in London coming up called "Beecause" which is being held to celebrate Honey Design's 20th Anniversary, London and Canadian Artists are invited to enter a juried exhibition and auction celebrating the theme of honey.   I am thinking of entering this one, if I still have it by June end, their deadline for entry.




5 comments:

Cyndee Greene said...

Well Supria, I am driven to take a workshop to learn Encaustic. And oh how someday I would love to go to an Encaustic Conference.
I must wait tho' because I am broke. There is some divine purpose in all of this, I feel it down to my toes.
I won't be broke forever :)
Just for now.
And in the meantime, I will just live vicariously thru you....

rivergardenstudio said...

Your art is supreme... (it was hard to find the right word)... I tried encaustic painting but I made a mess of a piece and am scared to try again. Have a wonderful day, Supria, Roxanne

Sweet Mess said...

Lovely piece!
I love the colors~ all rich in yellows and oranges... I like the iron work too, that was something I never got into either. Maybe someday when I pick up encaustics again you can teach me the iron!

Supria Karmakar said...

Hi all:
Thanks for your comments..You know my life really turned for the better when I discovered Encaustic Painting...for many reasons...so I highly recommend trying it either for the first time or to keep at it..it is so worth it..especially when you embrace the mantra: "Non Attachment to Outcome" -- as it has been taught to me in my teachings and I have truly understood why..as encaustics is sometimes a medium quite hard to control..so going with the flow of the 'wax' and your creative muse is really the essence...
Thanks for visiting and commenting, Cyndee, Roxanne and Kelcey.
Supria

Seth said...

Wonderful Supria. I would love to see this one in person.