The encaustic medium is magical, vibrant and translucent.  My creative muse guides, inspires and feeds my soul through this medium, mixed media and collage.  Blessing me with endless moments of creative joy and harmony...providing those ahhaa moments about life.  Join me on this creative journey, spend some time reading my musings about this life, the blessed other souls that come into contact with mine, however brief or often, that can leave everlasting imprints on our journey....perhaps our lives might share some similarities, bringing us closer and more connected...and less isolated.

"I suppose there is one friend in the life of each of us who seems not a separate person, however dear and beloved, but an expansion, an interpretation, of one's self, the very meaning of one's soul." ~ Edith Wharton

Here's to finding those expansive moments.....

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Life of an artist, wears many hats ......



Encaustic mixed media, 2010

I have been really contemplating and actively working towards expanding my career as an artist.
This entails wearing many hats, ones which fit more comfortably than others, but I am approaching each one with love and grace, which is easing the process of wearing those hats that don't feel so comfortable.

I have been wanting to revamp my website for a while, and I have finally begun the process.  I am much happier with it, I know it still needs tweaking here and there.  I would love to hear your feedback if you so choose to share it...

The process for me first began with thinking about my goals for 2011 (and beyond),  and what I would like to happen within the year in my art career.  I knew I wanted to expand, make some forward movements with gallery representation and some great new exhibits at new galleries and collaborations.  As well, I wanted to make solid commitments to my existing collectives, galleries and retail spaces, these have been so imperative in my art career and I am so grateful for the opportunities to show at Whitestone Gallery, UpTown Gallery, Barber Gallery, the Harris Collective..and the start of it all was the fabulous Elora-Fergus Studio tour.

Well I am happy to say that the envisioning process was magnificent.   I have a new collaborative exhibit with Marilyn Clarke, a wonderful artist that works in textile; she and I are exhibiting "Changing Surfaces" at the Carnegie Gallery, Dundas, Ontario in June. Opening reception is Friday June 3rd, 2011.  More details will follow.

Also, I knew I had a blast with the group encaustic exhibit in September, The Whole Ball of Wax, curated by Andrea Bird and Lisa-Beth Glassman  in Toronto; so I thought it would be great to find another venue in Toronto.  Hence, I am busy working on an April showing at Arts on King, Toronto, Ontario.  This exhibit opens April 1st to April 30th, 2011.  Working title for this show is, "Figment, Fancy & Flight", I am very excited about both shows and actively working on new work.  So here is where the balancing of many hats, or rather eggs, (more fitting for me), comes in.  Between, making sure all your marketing tools are ship shape, website, facebook, blog(s), artist statement, cv, bio, photographing your images, or making space and time to get them professionally photographed, connecting with the venues, or those you are collaborating with, it feels like the space to create can get squished in...well for me this didn't seem acceptable or the fit didn't feel balanced....So I have decided, I would tackle the website, blog, cv/bio/statement during off hours (really are there any 'off' hours ??? - maybe those wee hours of sleep/dream time) and the creating of new art work during the day in the studio.

On top of this I love teaching and make sure I am able to offer classes on a regular basis.   Teaching time, provides the much needed people contact, I absolutely love how energized I become in seeing other people feel the magic of the encaustic and collage medium, art and creativity,...seeing others soar creatively is such a high for me.....it has become a bit of a mission in my business model.  It is also how I bring a regular income to my life, which is also part of the balance.  So I am constantly thinking of new ways to make my classes exciting, fun and new techniques to share.  So I have made an effort to keep these classes fresh and exciting, and I am thrilled about offering new ways to be working with encaustic, in the Spring and Summer seasons, these skills and techniques are ones that I have learnt from the Encaustic Conference in Mass., US. Founder/ and Director, Joanne Mattera. 

So last year, during my attendance at the Encaustic Conference, I began to think about the need to get a career consultation, and I have begun this process with Joanne Mattera, it was very eye opening.  It has helped me begin to take a long hard look at my business model, from the name, "Supria's Designs", to my website, cv, bio and the ever elusive artist statement.    I highly recommend getting a consultation....it  got my butt moving....

But still that time to create new art work, consistently and well, is a big priority and commitment in my life...so hence I have decided during the month of March, I am carving out time, time to be secluded in my studio to create, this means saying no to other things, and being very disciplined...getting into the studio even when it is frigid outside, when the sun isn't shining, when I am tired or feeling uninspired...I find just getting into the studio creates space and invitation to creativity, which is thrilling and brings me rejuvenation, meaning and connection.  So hear is to an up coming month of seclusion and continuing to expand the business of being an artist.  I would love to hear what has worked for you in balancing those many eggs in your own artist career.

"The Egg", Encaustic Mixed Media, 2010

3 comments:

Paula Mould said...

Hi Supria,

I love the new bright look of your site. The landing page with all the images looks great and I can instantly tell what services you offer.

Watch your menus though as you have you bio only visible from one section (as far as I can tell). You also have the link jump to a blog spot page which is a bit distracting. Try to keep everything together.

The other thing I noticed was your centreing is inconsistent - the pink/purple menu at the top is slightly to the left of centre whereas your content is dead centre.

I love these changes though and seeing the bright site vs the dark one is really refreshing. You're heading in the right direction for sure!

It's nice also to read about your career goals and thoughts. I am working on my art career actively this year and reading about your experiences really helps. Truly inspirational.

Thanks so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you do have alot of energy! I hope your new business plan works out just how you want it too. I wish you great success and happiness. "The Egg" is a wonderful combination of line and texture. A feast for the eyes!

Seth said...

Great things are happening for you Supria. Congatulations on your success and bringing your dreams to reality.