The encaustic medium is magical, vibrant and translucent.  My creative muse guides, inspires and feeds my soul through this medium, mixed media and collage.  Blessing me with endless moments of creative joy and harmony...providing those ahhaa moments about life.  Join me on this creative journey, spend some time reading my musings about this life, the blessed other souls that come into contact with mine, however brief or often, that can leave everlasting imprints on our journey....perhaps our lives might share some similarities, bringing us closer and more connected...and less isolated.

"I suppose there is one friend in the life of each of us who seems not a separate person, however dear and beloved, but an expansion, an interpretation, of one's self, the very meaning of one's soul." ~ Edith Wharton

Here's to finding those expansive moments.....

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

School Days - Anticipation, Joy and the all around Buzz...Images of Altered Book Pages





My daughter woke up bright and early today to get off to school...Saying she was excited but nervous all at the same time... She is off to a new school this year, same friends...as the French Immersion switches every three years...Leaves the old school for a new one...new memories and new adventures, new lessons, new teachers...all around a new beginning..

Through her anticipation, joy and feeling all those multitude of emotions...I am left thinking also about those days when I went off to school by myself, on the double decker buses in England..wearing my 'bubblebee' uniform.....Yes, I often got teased about that uniform by the other school kids not at the same school..But once I was at my school ...we were all the same and it was safe...we had our own group and we laughed lots..giggled tonnes...and did what most girls my age would do...  School days are such a vital part of growing up...there is a surreal feeling to that first day..perhaps a better word would be anticipation.  I remember what was important to me at the age of 11/12 (that is how old I would have been in this photo)...that my friends were important to me...Learning was sort of there...I remember the different teachers for the different subjects, the prefects that monitored the hallways and the playgrounds, gym (not my favourite subject at all), the lunches (they were provided for us) they weren't so tasty....All in all though it all meant a lot to learn and play, make friends, share and giggle with them.

I hope this will be a great day for the many girls and boys going back today..And that there will much joy in the new school year... And from this place of joy comes great learning and memories...And for those of us who are beyond those primary, middle school days that we remember what a time of awe, wonder, maybe even anxiety it might have been and remember to be gentle with those living these school days today.  

These images are from my 'me' altered book project -- mainly capturing some of my England memories and musings.

No comments: